Use of grills, smokers, barbecue pits, fish cookers and other outdoor cooking appliances is approved. All use should be in accordance with manufacture instructions.
Use of portable fireplaces, chimeneas, fire rings and other small fires (less than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height) are permitted for warming and recreation.
- Portable fireplaces and cooking appliances must be at least 15 feet away from buildings and combustible materials in all commercial and multi-family residential locations.
- Burning of yard waste including leaves, grass, brush or plant growth.
- Fires or outdoor cooking on balconies or porches of apartments
- Fires within 15 feet of a structure or combustible materials at commercial or multi-family residential locations
- During periods of persistent dry conditions (most often in later summer) a ban on outdoor burning may be instituted. Outdoor burning bans do not generally apply to outdoor cooking contained within grills, barbecue pits and smokers.
This form should be used as a guide for fires in residential areas.
Please contact Carthage Fire Department for more information or clarification of the outdoor burning rules and ordinance.